OnePlus is a company that doesn’t need an introduction anymore. The company has been doing quite well for the past few years now. Their recent flagship, the OnePlus 5 is doing well all across the world. Although OnePlus has been through a lot of ups and downs, its featureful phones have managed to keep its boat going through the toughest storms. OnePlus 5 has been succeeded by OnePlus 5T now. This year, OnePlus will also release the OnePlus 6. The release of new phones doesn’t mean that we should forget the phones like OnePlus 5. This phone has a whole life to look forward too.
OnePlus recently updated the OnePlus 5 to Android 8.0 Oreo. The official Android 8.0 Oreo brings tons of new features to the phone. It’s unclear when this phone will get further updates. OnePlus hasn’t given any hints on whether it has any plans to update the OnePlus 5 to Android 8.1 Oreo or not. It’s been quite a while since Google has already rolled out the Android 8.1 as well. In fact, a lot of phones have been updated to official Android 8.1 as well now. OnePlus is yet to join the Android 8.1 brigade.
If you own a OnePlus 5 which is currently running on Android 8.0, you may want to upgrade it to Android 8.1 now. Yes, you heard it right. You can now install Android 8.1 Oreo on your phone. No, we are not talking about an official update. We are pointing towards the LineageOS 15.1 custom ROM. Formerly known as CyanogenMod, the LineageOS brings you an opportunity to upgrade your OnePlus 5 to latest and greatest version of Android.
LineageOS is the most widely used custom ROM. It is also the most popular aftermarket redistributed Android firmware. LineageOS is completely bloatware free. It doesn’t even have GApps in it. If you are a fan of custom ROMs which have absolutely no junk, then this LineageOS 15.1 Android 8.1 Oreo ROM is definitely for you. OnePlus 5 is already much popular in the developer community. The release of Android 8.1 for this phone shows the interest the developers have in keeping the development alive for this phone.
Before installing this ROM, you should bear in mind that this custom ROM is in its early stages. It is highly unstable at the moment and it has the potential to break your phone. If you are familiar with custom ROM flashing and you know how to handle the phone if something goes wrong, then you should definitely go ahead. In case you are a newbie, I’d suggest you to stay away from this ROM for a while. As soon as a stable version comes out, I will update this guide so that you can join the train later on.
- This ROM is only for the OnePlus 5. Do not try this on any other phone.
- Your phone must be running on Android 8.0 before installing this custom ROM.
- Charge your phone good enough so that it lasts during the installation process.
- Backup your important contacts, call logs and text messages. Also, create a Nandroid and EFS backup. This is highly recommended because we will be factory resetting the phone during the flashing process.
- Install TWRP Recovery on your OnePlus 5.
- Follow this guide carefully.
Note: This is a custom ROM and the process that leads to the execution of this ROM on your OP5 is also custom. Such procedures are not recommended by the device manufacturers. If something goes wrong, TechBeasts or the ROM developer or the device manufacturers may not be held responsible. Make sure that you understand all the risks involved and you are doing this at your own risk.
Install Freedom OS Custom ROM on OnePlus 5
- Download lineage-15.1-20180113-UNOFFICIAL-cheeseburger.zip file. Copy the downloaded ROM file to your phone’s internal or external storage.
- Boot your OnePlus 5 into TWRP recovery. To do so, power down your OnePlus 5. Now turn it on by pressing and holding Volume Down + Power Key. As soon as the phone boots up, leave the keys and let it boot into TWRP.
- Once you are in the TWRP recovery, tap Wipe > Factory reset your OnePlus 5.
- Now get back to the main menu in TWRP recovery and tap Install > Locate and select lineage-15.1-20180113-UNOFFICIAL-cheeseburger.zip > Swipe finger to start the installation.
- ROM installation will start now. Wait for a while and let it come to an end.
- Once done, reboot your phone into the system.
- First boot can take up to 10 minutes. Let the phone prepare the new system. You will have the new Freedom OS ROM up and running on your phone now.
- Since this ROM doesn’t have Gapps installed, here’s a guide on how to install Gapps: How to install GApps on Android 8.1 LineageOS 15.1.
That’s all. For more details, check out the ROM thread.